Monday, March 20, 2006

(Indonesia) AirAsia is bad, bad, bad!

While I praised its competitions against Lion Air, it turns out, AirAsia is equally lousy. I should've listened to my instinct: never trust too cheap a thing.

So I went to see Anna in Bali. We had been told to try AirAsia, since "it's so inexpensive". When I asked the friends if they were sure (cause I had bad experience with Lion Air), they made me believe it was alright. So I bought the e-ticket online (so far so good, efficiency). It was a week before the schedule.

On the D-day, I was called by AirAsia. There was "unexpected delay" from the scheduled 4pm to 6pm, due to "technical problem". I called them up:

Me: What's going on? Why did you just informed me now?
AA: Apologies, Sir. Technical problem.
Me: What's the compensation?
AA: We don't do compensation, Sir. Sorry.
Me: I beg your pardon? No compensation? You must be kidding me. I have appointment at 7 in Kuta! At least find me another flight.
AA: Sorry, Sir. There's nothing we can do. But hold on, I will ask our manager... (silence). Ugh, Sir? Here's the compensation. You can cancel your trip now, but your ticket is good for three months. You can even let somebody use it.
Me: What? You think it's a compensation? My problem is, I have to be in Kuta at 7pm! Your "compensation" is not doing any justice to it.
AA: Sorry, Sir.
So I contacted my travel agent if they could get me into Garuda. They said it's impossible to issue a ticket 3 hours before the flight. I gave up. It's the damn AirAsia then. I went to Cengkareng.

And guess what? They made two, no, three more delays. I finally flew to Denpasar at 8pm!

On the way back to Jakarta, Anna and I used Garuda. In the airport lounge we hear the announcement several times. That AirAsia's flight to Jakarta was delayed, and delayed, due to... "technical problem".

I shouldn't be complained, I guess. Their ticket is darn cheap. But just to remind my fellow travellers, "cheap" means all inclusive, including several delays and annoyance.

This morning I got an email from AirAsia, promoting their other "great deals". I trashed it. Twice.

No comments: