Friday, April 27, 2007

Cheesy Kartini's Day

It was the first time I had to travel and left Alfie at home. I couldn’t find excuse anymore; my HR had been questioning me after I rescheduled the mandatory training four times. So, last Sunday I flew to London.

Being away from home, I started to become melancholic. It was a totally different feeling from what I had expected. I had never been to London and was eager to come and pay a visit to Buckingham Palace, British Museum, Shakespeare’s Corner, etc. I love traveling, and am always looking forward to it. But this time, I could not wait to be home. Life has changed.

Apart from attending the boring training, I used my five days and nights isolated in Milton Keynes for contemplating. Back then, I used to underestimate career women who were married and had children. When it came to me, I realized that it was not easy to be the good one, and too bad some people took it for granted.

Agree or not, a working mom is a good example of a manager; she has to manage her family, her career, her husband as well as herself. To those who spend lots of money attending seminar or motivational session to become a great manager, you’d rather save your money.

On the day I left home, some Indonesian women were enthusiastically celebrating Kartini’s day by wearing traditional outfit - kebaya is one popular example. I couldn’t help laughing seeing waitresses, bank tellers, teachers, sales girls, and others trying very hard to even walk normally in that outfit. It was just too much -- and too far from what a (working) mom means.

1 comment:

UsagiDaisuki said...

kak anna, beda sekali mi memang kalo punya anak. main di taman dekat rumah saja sudah menyenangkan, sementara buat bujangan itu tentu membosankan sekali. yang enak buat mereka adalah perjalanan yang makan waktu berjam-jam. cakep sekali alfie dan mister carleone itu. tapi tentunya mister yang satu ini takkan berakhir di atas kursi tua, kota tua, seorang diri, di tengah terpaan angin yang berdebu. eager to meet you all in june.