Thursday, February 09, 2006

Dressed for success

Does your appearance matter to your spouse? I don't think it should. Anna thinks it does.

So off we went to gym. As usual, I was in what I call my sport apparel: wrinkled T-shirt, jogging pants, and (tennis) sneakers. It turned out, the morning was colder than the days before. We were in the car, halfway from home -- not a good idea to come back for my sweatwear. Without thinking, I just grabbed my business jacket. But...

"What are you doing?" Anna was hysterical, to my surprise. "You can't go to a gym with that thing," she was pointing on my beloved dark jacket (it's cheap, by the way). So, rather than arguing (she was using the tone I instantly recognized as meaning: Don't try to argue), I slowly put the jacket back on the seat...

Now the best part. We were walking to the locker rooms after exercising. Anna realized she left her (business) shoes in the car. "Shoot, I forgot to put my shoes in my exercise bag. I only took the suit". And I gave her yet another wrong response: "Calm down. Why do you need your shoes? You have your sneakers now, no?". She stared at me, "What? A formal (she put a stress on this word) business (on this, too) attire, with ... sneakers (she went: "sneeee-kers" with even more emphasis on it)? Are you out of your mind?".

Was I out of my mind?

All I remember was, one day three years back, I invited a prominent economist to give a talk in my campus. He flew all the way from Washington D.C. to Champaign, Illinois. I picked him up at the airport. He was in a dark business suit with a pair of ... jogging sneakers. And they were white!

Economists should take another course :-)

5 comments:

Rizal said...

co, we did it once. Dhani was our kapro for this dress-thingies course. It was hilarious --imagine bq has been trained to walk properly, or maddar to wear right color socks--; but it's total useless. Look at they way we dress at the office now. But you know, that's one thing why i love our office :-)

Anonymous said...

-from oz with love-
Hm.. since I always catch a train to work, i used to wear my jogging shoes, it's so comfy for walking or running to the platform. But of course, on my drawer (at the client's office), my favourite black shoes are there waiting for me. So Aco, not that I'm taking sides, but I kindda agree with Anna...:P

Aco said...

Hahaha, Imel. Thanks for stopping by. You know, I am learning a lot. Your friend is certainly a good fashion tutor for me :-)

anna said...

In fact, Aco is not that fashion illiterate and ignorance. The other day, he's got very irritated when I got out of the car barefoot walking to our gym parking lot :)

Anonymous said...

Gw baca komen-nya Rizal, jadi ketawa, abis dia bawa2 nama suami gw. Jadi inget, dulu, sebulan atau beberapa minggu abis kita nikah, di kantin LPEM bawah, pas makan siang ketemu Mba Didit dan Mas Yono, trus mereka nyapa dan nanya sambil senyum2, "Gimana Ndah, Maddar udah mau pake kaus kaki belum?"
Gw jawab lah, "Sepuluh tahun lebih dia nggak pake kaus kaki karena pengaruh temennya, sementara saya baru beberapa minggu nyaranin dia supaya mau pake kaos kaki, saya masih kalah pengaruh Mba..."
Aco, gw anggap lo tau siapa orang yang udah mempengaruhi suami gw itu.