Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Cheating on my laptop

I have been blogging for more than two years now. In all those time I have been with this very laptop, my R32 ThinkPad. Am considering now to get a new one. I’m a believer in Moore’s Law (“The number of transistors per chip that yields the minimum cost per transistor increases at a rate of roughly a factor of two per year”) but as Anna correctly points out, increased computer power might not be my key reason. It’s the weight that bugs me more. What keeps me from not doing it, however, is the cost of migrating to a new one. I hate moving. I have so many software installed here – original CDs of which I have lost (or even if I still have them, I have to make big effort to run through all the installment process again; followed by reorganizing all the auxiliary files and docs). Not to mention my very ill filing system (blame it on Google desktop search!). [Hey, am I revealing my outdated knowledge in TI? There should be a good migrating software out there, right?]

Once I ran a back-of-the-envelope calculation of a cost-benefit analysis on getting a replacement laptop, done by myself whose tech know-how is limited. It told me, I should hold on for about one or two more years… (But this ain't got no bluetooth, ooh…)

No comments: